Crossroads United Presbyterian Church began with new church development funds made available by the Presbytery of Detroit and a special grant from the First United Presbyterian church of Birmingham. The organizing pastor was the Reverend William L. Rieker. The first service of worship was held on October 21,1954, in a remodeled dog kennel.
A new church building was formally dedicated on December 6,1957. This is now the flat roofed section of the building. The congregation was officially organized May, 1958, with 77 charter members.
The Reverend J. Albert McCrory was installed as pastor in 1961. He served for 10 years. During his tenure, a building fund campaign was organized and the current sanctuary was built. It was dedicated in June of 1968. The congregation more than tripled in size.
In June of 1972, the Reverend Deirn J. Geard become pastor. The church continued to attract new members and became more involved in ministry to the community.
The Reverend Richard Peters began his pastorate in December of 1974 and was formally installed in February, 1975. Under his leadership a capital campaign for the building was begun. Two interim pastors led the church beginning in January, 1990. The Reverend Edward Taylor served first, then the Reverend William Jones.
Reverend Clark Cowden came to Crossroads in 1991 during the building addition campaign. This addition provided a significantly larger Fellowship Hall and increased classroom space. The following were initiated during his tenure, including a contemporary service in addition to the traditionalservice Christian education classes between the two services including adult classes Walled Lake's largest Banana Split - an evangelism outreach to the community,Monday club for children in Kindergarten through Grade 5 held after school and Vacation Bible School held on four consecutive evenings during the summer.
The Reverend William Emrich became the interim pastor in January, 1999. He helped maintain the programs as the search for a new pastor was carried out.
Pastor John Pavelko arrived in August 2000 and has brought new energy and sense of outreach to the church.
See the Pictures Page for Photos.